Friday, January 15, 2010

Coffee Communion

First, let us share some words of the Apostle Paul writing (in 53 or 54 CE) the earliest reference to the Christian Eucharist (I Corinthians 11:23-26) for some background.
.
"For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks he broke it and said, 'This is my body which is for you; do this in remembrance of me.' In the same way after supper he took the cup saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in my blood, do this whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.' For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes."
.
Our coffee time are our communion times - blessed, sacred times - where we sit in the moment, share ideas and dreams, reflect together and nurture our marriage. Before we drink, we give thanks for the moment - a prayer of blessing. We drink remembering Christ who has led the way to live under God's new covenant. By seeing our coffee breaks this way, we drink and enter into Christ's death until he comes for us, beit in our own death or something so amazing it is beyond explanation.

No comments: