Thursday, April 23, 2015

My First Day at Tallarook


I arrived early and met two early teachers and one of them took me on a guided tour of the school. There was an influx of students from the bus and the school seemed to come to life. After the lessons commenced, the wellbeing worker took me to each class to introduce me. I was able to tell a bit about myself saying something about my past experience, how I would support the school in a way similar to the wellbeing worker, and that I loved drawing and woodcraft. A number of classes were exploring the ANZAC story and I was able to contribute in one. During the first break, students came up to me to show me their skipping prowess and tell me things that had some connection to ANZAC. I also watched a soccer game on the oval.


Following this, I was involved in supporting two boys from grades 2/3 making a huge poster with the lettering “Lest we forget”, made from paper poppy flowers. These boys then moved on to making ANZAC biscuits. I was very impressed with their enterprise. All in all, I had a positive day. I was able to speak with the whole school going from room to room, interact with students during the breaks and work with these two boys in preparation for the school’s ANZAC memorial assembly.

In the early morning before students arrived

Even chickens and vegetables 

No comments: