Friday, October 21, 2011

Woodcraft Variety


It seems right to share how Peter’s last school woodcraft elective went. He will try to give a balanced account from his perspective. It was a day when he wished he could have multiplied himself by five. That was about how many children needed help at any one time.

“The previous week, I asked each child to suggest what they would like to make. There were four who wanted to make a horse.  There was one who hoped to make a volcano (!).  Three children asked for planes, two for a castle, two for a model of Titanic, one for a helicopter, truck, raft, army tank and a catapult. As you might imagine it was a bit of a stretch to provide all pieces for all projects. I had to trust in the ‘craft sense’ of many of the children on the day.

Even though they all needed help to start, we somehow got going, and over the banging of the hammers were calls for my attention. I got to each as quickly as I could. As the hour progressed, I was glad to see the horses coming together (Jacquie, Claire, Mia and Tricia). The volcano was beautifully done (Paige). The aeroplanes were ‘muscled’ into shape (Tyler, Amber, Blake, Tayla). Two army tanks were made (Nicholas and Lachlan M). Three Titanics came together (Harry x 2, Lachlan M). A slowly truck grew into shape (Chace had patiently waited till I could get to him). The raft corner did have some trouble (Brendan, Brayden and Jack). They were invited to take wood home to further their project. The castle makers will have a chance to continue their project in the woodcraft clubs that happen each week (Thomas, Cooper). Liam took the initiative and made a delightful multileveled structure with what he found. Lachlan G did the something similar with what he had and made a model of a piece of fantasy machinery. A special ‘well done’ to Liam and Lachlan.


There was a time in the thick of it, when I asked myself why I couldn’t have taken an origami elective instead. :) “

No comments: