Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Dream

Time: the night of 10 March, the night before full moon.

Location: the cane fields south of Babinda, North Queensland.

A lightening flash, hardly discussed, and there it was without any further notice. It grew, forming an enormous and dark tree shape piercing the sky, and I (Peter) went out to photograph it. I was being tugged by its power as I retreated to the house. Only my Mum was in the house. It occurred to me then that we were stymied and not only us, but the whole town of Babinda would be swept aside. Nowhere was safe from death and destruction.

I woke and recalled the dream and then thought through all the options available to avoid death... like racing ahead of it in a car... or wriggling, with my Mum, into a storm drain pipe under the road... and wondered if even there we might be sucked out or simply drowned.



No comments: